GKNM Hospital > Our Growth Story

Our Growth Story

founder
Founder
Sri.G.Kuppuswamy Naidu

(1884-1942)

  • 1930
  • 1948
  • 1950
  • 1952
  • 1954
  • 1958
  • 1971
  • 1979
  • 1984
  • 1995
  • 2001
  • 2004
1930
9th January 1930

How our Journey Started

Sri. G. Kuppuswamy Naidu was one of the earliest Indian entrepreneurs. He established The Lakshmi Mills Company, a major textile yarn and cloth manufacturer in 1910 in Coimbatore, India.

Sri. G.Kuppuswamy Naidu lost his step-sister, Smt. Rajammal and her newborn due to complications at childbirth and this brought about in him a strong urge to build a hospital for women and children in the society to prevent such unfortunate incidents. His dream was fulfilled by his sons and brother. The hospital started to serve the women & children initially.

logo
15th November 1948

Trust Formation

Co-founders
“I am determined I shall do no other charity till I build a hospital for women and children in Coimbatore” – G. Kuppuswamy Naidu
A committee was formed to fulfil his wishes and G. Kuppuswamy Naidu Memorial Trust was established. The trust was composed of his brother Sri. G. Venkataswamy Naidu, his maternal uncle Sri. R. Bhima Naidu, his friend Sri. P. S. Pallikonda Ayyar and Sri. S. M. Kuppuswami Chettiar, his sons, Sri. G. K. Devarajulu, Sri. G. K. Sundaram, Sri. G. K. Govindaswamy and Sri. G. K. Rajagopal. On 29thOctober 1948, bringing life to the founder’s dream, “The G. Kuppuswamy Naidu Charity Trust” for education and medical relief was registered.

29th May 1950

Building Construction Started

Hospital Construction – Bhoomi Pooja for the construction of the hospital was conducted and the foundation was laid by Sri. Bheema Naidu.

30th June 1952

Hospital Inauguration

His Highness Jaya Chamaraja Wodeyar, Maharaja of Mysore & Governor, Madras State, formally inaugurated G. Kuppuswamy Naidu Memorial Hospital.

31st May 1954

Gynaecology Block

In 1953, B. Rangaswamy Naidu Trust donated to lay foundation for a new Gynaecology ward, by Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur, Minister of Health, Government of India. The Gynaecology Block was then inaugurated by Shri K. Kamaraj Nadar, Chief Minister of Madras

9th June 1958

Cancer Block

Cancer Block was opened by His Excellence Sri. Bishnuram Medhi, Governor of Madras. The cancer center continues to be the only comprehensive cancer centre in this part of Coimbatore. One of the 4 hospitals selected by Government of India to conduct “National Cancer Control Programme”

In 1935, G. Kuppuswamy Naidu was afflicted with that vile disease, Cancer, in his lower abdomen. He kept the malady a grave secret all to himself. Two to three years later when the pain developed, he let his family doctor, Dr. P. N. Ramaswamy Naidu know it. Later, Dr. C. S. Ramaswamy lyer another a medical man by profession was also apprised of it. In October 1942, the cancer affliction got worse and Dr. Ramaswamy lyer had performed an operation on the founder and that too did not improve his condition.
When his cousin Sri. R. V. Lakshmaiah Naidu visited him at Madras Nursing home where he was being treated, the founder told his cousin, “What is the use of our making money and not doing any charity like in Madras?”
Now, Sri. G. Kuppuswamy Naidu also had in mind an earnest scheme to open another hospital exclusively for treatment of cancer in Coimbatore. He had told his friend Dr. C. S. Ramaswamy lyer to utilize the amount of about one and half lakhs that he had in his hand to establish a cancer hospital as soon as he could in Coimbatore.
On 17th December 1942, Sri. G. Kuppuswamy Naidu, who was a successful industrialist and a foresighted humanitarian had breathed his last.

2nd May 1971

Cobalt 60 Teletherapy Unit

The Valavadi Narayanaswamy Charity Trust magnanimously donated the Cobalt 60 Teletherapy unit to treat cancer patients. A Cancer Department was constructed in the premises of GKNM Hospital and the building was named as The Valavadi Narayanaswamy Cancer Centre.

20th November 1979

Cardiology Block Inauguration

LRG Naidu Memorial Cardiology Research Centre & Clinic was inaugurated by Thiru. M.G. Ramachandran, the Honorable Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
Dr. Cavalier G. K. Devarajulu Naidu had an ambition to start the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit at GKNM Hospital and had discussed this with Dr.V.Sundararajan, Adult & Paediatric Cardiologist in the year 1973. A three-bed Intensive Cardiac Care Unit with Cardiology Outpatient Department was established in 1974.

5th April 1984

The Institute of Nursing

The Institute of Nursing was established to commemorate the birth centenary of Sri. G. Kuppuswamy Naidu

15th May 1995

Veerapandi Rural Education and Medical Centre

Veerapandi Rural Education and Medical Centre was inaugurated, for enhancement of medical facilities in the rural area.

raksha_hospi

Raksha The Hospice

RAKSHA – The Hospice was inaugurated by His Holiness Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Shankaracharya Swamigal.

D block
27th August 2004

'D' Block Inauguration

N. Damodaran & Rajeswari Diagnostic Centre, (‘D’ Block) was inaugurated by Prof. A. Rajasekaran, President, National Board of Examinations, New Delhi.

Delivering Quality Healthcare

Exponential growth in Tamilnadu
  • 2006

    Inauguration of PACS

    The Linear Accelerator, Gamma Camera and Picture Archival & Communication System (PACS) were inaugurated by His Excellency the Governor of Tamil Nadu, Sri. Surjit Singh Barnala

  • Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam

    2008

    Inauguration of Golden Jubilee Block

    Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, Former President of India inaugurated the Golden Jubilee Block, Valavadi Narayanaswamy Cancer Centre and Inauguration & Exchange of MoUs for Telemedicine, a joint venture with ISRO and inauguration of Stemcell /Bone Marrow Transplantation.

  • parking

    2016

    Multilevel Car Parking

    The Multilevel Car Parking was inaugurated by Dr. K. Vijayakarthikeyan, IAS, Commissioner of Coimbatore Corporation.

  • Mayo Clinic
    2016

    Partnering with Children’s Heartlink – Mayo Clinic

    A Global Partner in promoting care for Children with Congenital Heart disease along with Children’s Heart Link, MN, USA
    A team of doctors and healthcare professionals from Mayo Clinic, MN, USA and Children’s Heart link (CHL) visited our hospital as a medical volunteer team between February 12 to 15, 2018. GKNM Hospital and the Children’s Heart Link have since collaborated to provide world class Paediatric Cardiac Services in South India.

memorial_hospital
First hospital to receive NABH certification in Tamilnadu
  • sqft
    6 Lakh. Sqft
  • Patient Beds
    600+Patient Beds
  • People
    200+Doctors
  • experience
    Years ofexperience
  • Departments
  • quality
    World ClassQuality