Research in which people, or data or samples of tissue from people, are studied to understand health and disease. Clinical research helps find new and better ways to detect, diagnose, treat, and prevent disease. Types of clinical research include clinical trials, which test new treatments for a disease, and natural history studies, which collect health information to understand how a disease develops and progresses over time. Clinical Research involves a cycle of events starting from pre-clinical animal testing to various stages of drug development before they are introduced in the market for mass consumption. Ultimate goal is to improve the quality of life.
- Phase I: 20-100 participants
- Phase II: Approximately 200 participants
- Phase III: Thousands of patients internationally
- Phase IV: (Pending approval) Continued monitoring with an increased focus on adverse reactions and side effects in patients
- Diploma in clinical Research / PG in clinical Research followed by any science degree.
Athisayaraj Patrick Joshua, Murugaiyan Nagarajan, Ramesh Banu Valavadi Narayanasamy Cancer Centre, G. Kuppuswamy Naidu Memorial Hospital, Coimbatore 641037, Tamil Nadu, India.