The Department of Radiology was started in the 1958 with an X-ray unit. Today we are equipped with “State of art” equipments with Digital X-ray, Full field digital Mammogram with Tomosynthesis, high end Ultrasound with color Doppler, 256 slice CT, 1.5 Tesla MRI, Bone Mineral density. We function 24 x 7 with interpretation of images by well qualified and experienced Radiologists.
Picture Archival and Communication Systems (PACS) was installed in 2006 for the first time in Coimbatore, in which all your Radiology images and reports are stored perpetually.
We commit ourselves to
- To not practice sex determination of fetus
- To practice ALARA (deliver lower possible radiation dose)
- To ensure images and reports of highest quality within the stipulated time.
Treatment & Procedures
- Digital X-ray
- Digital Mobile X-ray
- Ultrasound and Color Doppler
- Full field digital Mammogram and Tomosynthesis
- 256 slice CT Scan
- 5 Tesla MRI
- Bone Mineral Density (DEXA) scan.
The department offers entire spectrum of Neuro and peripheral vascular Interventional procedures. Interventional Radiology is a relatively new specialization which focusses on a minimally invasive / key hole approach to diagnosis and treatment of vascular disease and tumors. Some of the treatments offered are
- Diagnostic Angiograms
- Mechanical Thrombectomy
- Aneurysm coiling
- Treatment of Arteriovenous malformations and dural AV fistula
- Carotid artery stenting
- Balloon occlusion test, WADA test.
- Angioplasty and stenting
- Thrombosuction and Thrombolysis
- Embolisation of bleeding vessels in uterus, lungs, bowel, nasal cavity or anywhere else in the body
- Varicose vein treatment by Laser / Radiofrequency ablation
- IVC filter placement and retrieval
- Chemoembolisation of tumors(liver, etc).
- Aortic aneurysm stenting
- Biliary drainage and stenting
- Radiofrequency ablation of tumor
- CT or Ultrasound guided biopsies.
- Stereotactic breast biopsies
- Drainage procedures for deep seated collections.
We are fully prepared to prioritize patients presenting with stroke and remove the clot in the blood vessels to brain within 60 minutes of arrival (Mechanical Thrombectomy). This results in dramatic recovery of neurological function and markedly reduced hospital stay and complication.
Intracranial Aneurysm Treatments
Through small holes of a few millimeters in your blood vessel in your groin, the life threatening aneurysm in blood vessels around brain can be treated with coils, thereby avoiding all the risks of an open surgical procedure. Even large aneurysm can be treated with devices called “FLOW DIVERTORS” GKNM Hospital is one of few centers to have successfully carried out this procedure.
256 slice CT Scan
This is a “State of art” machine capable of scanning your heart in 3 beats. This is designed to scan with least amount of radiation and contrast dose. The advantages can also be experienced while scanning of brain, chest and abdomen.
Whether it is a simple X-ray or Mammogram or CT Scan we have the latest equipment to deliver the lowest possible Radiation dose with optimal image quality. Protocols (doses) are individualized to every patient based on size and weight with special attention to children.